Tuesday 21 June 2011

Gaming 101: How I got started.

(See what I did there?)

I was pre-geeked. My earliest entertainment memories are Star Wars for movies, The New Avengers for TV, 2000AD and Doctor Who Weekly for comics and hearing The Hobbit being read to my brother and I for books. So I was primed and ready when, about age ten or eleven, a cousin gave me City Of Thieves and I got The Forest Of Doom with my own money. (So a lot of this is the artist Iain McCaig’s fault.)

And from there to miniatures as they were stocked nearby and were shiny, back when local big department store John Menzies (a) existed and (b) carried that kind of thing, to playing once and then GMing Fighting Fantasy - The Introductory Role-Playing Game to visiting my first FLGS (Gamesmaster, on Forrest Road), to my first proper game (let us never speak of the shortcut again) to starting high school and finding players for an ongoing thing, to getting one of the first copies of Vampire when it came out (Mac’s Models, on Canongate) as I was getting bored of mission-based games, to writing for The Last Province to university- and pub-based game societies to RPGnet to...

No comments:

Post a Comment