Wednesday 11 July 2012

New GMs

Tomorrow, I’ll be playing a Vampire: The Masquerade oneshot, my first non-convention World Of Darkness game with a new Storyteller in... oh, about ten years.

This being her second go at GMing, she’s understandably nervous. I’ll try not to be too much of a “wise mentor” - focus on the specifics of the adventure and create a suitable character, not grab the plot and run off with it too fast, comment if asked.

When I was starting out, my first players were my contemporaries, family and school friends, with a mutual interest in Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and the like, making that system a good choice, using published adventures. And still pretty much sucking. I was also twelve. I found my feet within a year or so, after some amusing-in-hindsight detours. I didn’t have a previous generation sitting there staring at me...

No comments:

Post a Comment