Monday 24 August 2015

#RPGaDay 24: Favourite House Rule

#RPGaDay2015

24: Favourite House Rule

I updated Adventure! for present-day superspies by adding Computers to the skill list. I don’t really think of it as a house rule, though, as I started a series with it rather than coming to it after a few sessions. Likewise I’m pretty happy with my hack of D6 Star Wars from adding all the dice together to Shadowrun / Storyteller style counting success levels. It’s just that little bit faster, and makes partial successes more obvious. But again, I said that at the outset. At the moment I’m running V20 with the Humanity system from VTR Second Edition.

For a rule that came up directly during the game, I still have a soft spot for The Sign Of The Moose.


Once upon a time we were playing Shadowrun in a pub meet, and negotiating with a gang leader. The GM asked “What can you do for me?” in character, just as a player got up to go to the bar and asked “Want a drink?” out of character and the GM responded “You can do better than that!” before realising what she meant, and then suggested a hand signal to indicate OOC. I believe LARPs use the time-out signal, but on the spur of the moment he suggested the rather more obvious Sign Of The Moose.


Please note, this is not any of us. I believe there is no photographic evidence of us using it. At least, I hope not.

Hand signals to indicate whether unclear talk was IC or OOC became a thing for a while anyway, but as much joked about as done.

No comments:

Post a Comment